Help Bust Blight at the #Backchannel Bustup
On Saturday, August 11, 2012, we’re asking our social media friends – the #Backchannel – to lend a few hours of time and energy.
From 8:45 a.m. until about 4 p.m. we will work to demolish and clear away eyesore homes in the city’s Brightmoor neighborhood, just a few blocks away from the beautiful Redford Theatre movie palace.
Last year, our first #Backchannel Bustup brought together more than one hundred of our social media friends. It was a day of hard work and fun.
Again, we’d like to create an event to meet one another in person – not just on Facebook or Twitter – and accomplish something positive for our community.
7 Action News anchor Stephen Clark will again be a part of the effort. Our Detroit 2020 project has worked with Motor City Blight Busters and with a new group – 313 Dlove – to make this happen.
- A signed waiver form that will be made available when you arrive
- Old clothes you don’t care about
- Comfortable, yet sturdy shoes
- Gloves (please bring an extra pair to donate if you can)
- Large trash bags (again, please bring some to leave)
- Masks (sometimes the dust really flies)
- Additional items that would be helpful: Shovels, Axes, Sledgehammers, Large trash containers.
Please plan to meet at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 11, at the Motor City Java House, located at 17336 Lahser Road Detroit, MI 48219 – just north of Grand River.
If you’d like to see what last year’s #Backchannel Bustup looked like, check out these Tweets, Facebook posts, news videos and photos from our 2011 event.